Research Interest :
• Currently, the main focus of research is the discovery and designing of novel enzyme systems for biomass processing to produce high-value functional biomolecules. • The metagenomic resources have been generated from thermal aquatic habitats of moderate to extreme temperatures, and ethnic fermented food samples, followed by its taxonomic and metabolic profiling. • The metagenomic resources have been explored for the discovery and characterization of novel genes encoding the enzymes with improved properties, e.g., D-allulose 3-epimerase, amylosucrase, glutamate decarboxylase, endoglucanase, pullulanase, glucosidase, galactosidase, xylanase, and pectate lyase, etc. • The catalytic biosynthesis of functional sugar molecules such as D-allulose, and turanose has been established, utilizing the low-cost sugar biomass. • The catalytic biosynthesis of prebiotic biomolecules, e.g., fructooligosaccharides, glucooligosaccharides, 4-galactosyl-Kojibiose, levan, and dextran has been established, utilizing the low-cost sugar biomass.
• Selected member of the National Academy of Sciences, India (2020) • Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Award to the team (2019) • Professor Hira Lal Chakravarty Award, ISCA, DST (2018) • International Travel Grant, SERB, DST (2017) • School of Biosciences-Madurai Kamraj University Genomics Award (2017) • Young Scientist Award, International Bioprocessing Association, France (2017) • Early Carrier Research Award Project, SERB, DST (2017) • UGC-Faculty Selectee (2015) • Young Scientist research project, SERB, DST (2012) • Beam-time Award, Canadian Light Source (CLS), Canada (2011) • CSIR-NET (2003, 2004) • CSIR-SRF (2007) • U.P. Board Merit Scholarship (1993-94)
Position held :
• June, 2015 onwards: Scientist-C at Center of Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB), Mohali, India. • Jan., 2012 to June, 2015: Project Scientist at National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI), Mohali, India. • May 2010 to Jan., 2012: Research Associate at National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI), Mohali, India.
Other Responsibilities :
• Member Secretary, Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBSC), CIAB, Mohali • External Expert, IBSC, Panjab University, Chandigarh • Member, Standing Technical Committee, CIAB, Mohali
Research articles :
Selected Research Publications :
• Patel SN, Kaushal G, Singh SP* (2021) D-allulose 3-epimerase of Bacillus sp. origin manifests profuse heat-stability and noteworthy potential of D-fructose epimerization. Microbial Cell Factories 20(60), 1-16 • Kaushal G, Rai AK, Singh SP* (2021) A novel β-glucosidase from a hot-spring metagenome shows elevated thermal stability and tolerance to glucose and ethanol. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 145, 109764 • Joshi N, Kaushal G, Singh SP* (2021) Biochemical characterization of a novel thermo-halo-tolerant GH5 endoglucanase from a thermal spring metagenome. Biotechnology and Bioengineering DOI: 10.1002/bit.27668 • Thakur M, Sharma N, Rai AK, Singh SP* (2021) A novel cold-active type I pullulanase from a hot-spring metagenome for effective debranching and production of resistant starch. Bioresource Technology 320, 124288 • Chourasia R, Padhi S, Phukon LC, Abedin MM, Singh SP*, Rai AK* (2020) A potential peptide from soy cheese produced using Lactobacillus delbrueckii WS4 for effective inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 main protease and S1 glycoprotein. Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences. 7: 601753 • Sharma N, Kumar J, Abedin MM, Sahoo D, Pandey A, Rai AK, Singh SP* (2020) Metagenomics revealing molecular profiling of community structure and metabolic pathways in natural hot springs of the Sikkim Himalaya. BMC Microbiology 20, 246 • Kaushal G, Singh SP* (2020) Comparative genome analysis provides shreds of molecular evidence for reclassification of Leuconostoc mesenteroides MTCC10508 as a strain of Leu. suionicum. Genomics 112(6), 4023-4031 • Sharma M, Sangwan RS, Khatkar BS, Singh SP* (2020) Development of a prebiotic oligosaccharide rich functional beverage from sweet sorghum stalk biomass. Waste and Biomass Valorization DOI: 10.1007/s12649-020-01156-5 • Joshi N, Sharma M, Singh SP* (2020) Characterization of a novel xylanase from an extreme temperature hot spring metagenome for xylooligosaccharide production. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 104:4889–4901 • Patel S, Kaushal G., Singh SP* (2020) A novel D-Allulose 3-epimerase gene from the metagenome of a thermal aquatic habitat and D-Allulose production by Bacillus subtilis whole-cell catalysis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 86 (05), e02605-19 •Agarwal N, Narnoliya LK, Singh SP* (2019) Characterization of a novel amylosucrase gene from the metagenome of a thermal aquatic habitat, and its use in turanose production from sucrose biomass. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 131, 109372 • Kumar J, Sharma N, Kaushal G, Samurailatpam S, Sahoo D, Rai AK, Singh SP* (2019) Metagenomic insights into the taxonomic and functional features of Kinema, a traditional fermented soybean product of Sikkim Himalaya. Frontiers in Microbiology 10, 1744. •Narnoliya LK, Agarwal N, Patel SN, Singh SP* (2019) Kinetic characterization of laccase from Bacillus atrophaeus, and its potential in juice clarification in free and immobilized forms. Journal of Microbiology 57 (10): 900-909. •Sharma M, Sangwan RS, Khatkar BS, Singh SP* (2019) Alginate-pectin co-encapsulation of dextransucrase and dextranase for oligosaccharide production from sucrose feedstocks. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering 42 (10), 1681–1693. • Narnoliya LK, Kaushal G, Singh SP* (2019) Long non-coding RNAs and miRNAs regulating terpene and tartaric acid biosynthesis in rose-scented geranium. FEBS Letters 593, 2235–2249 •Jadaun JS, Narnoliya LK, Agarwal N, Singh SP* (2019) Catalytic biosynthesis of levan and short-chain fructooligosaccharides from sucrose-containing feedstocks by employing the levansucrase from Leuconostoc mesenteroides MTCC10508. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 127, 486-495. • Kaushal G, Kumar J, Sangwan RS, Singh SP* (2018) Metagenomic analysis of geothermal water reservoir sites exploring carbohydrate-related thermozymes. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 119, 882-895. • Lata K, Sharma M, Patel SN, Sangwan RS, Singh SP* (2018) An integrated bio-process for production of functional biomolecules utilizing raw and by-products from dairy and sugarcane industries. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering 41(8), 1121-1131. • Narnoliya LK, Sangwan RS, Singh SP* (2018) Transcriptome mining and in silico structural and functional analysis of ascorbic acid and tartaric acid biosynthesis pathway enzymes in rose-scanted geranium. Molecular Biology Reports 45(3), 315-326. • Kumar J, Gunapati S, Kianian SF, Singh SP* (2018) Comparative analysis of transcriptome in two wheat genotypes with contrasting levels of drought tolerance. Protoplasma 255(5): 1487-1504. • Patel SN, Singh V, Sharma M, Singhal NK, Sangwan RS, Singh SP* (2018) Development of a thermo-stable and recyclable magnetic nanaobiocatalyst for bioprocessing of fruit processing residues and D-allulose synthesis. Bioresource Technology 247, 633-639. • Sharma M, Patel SN, Sangwan RS, Singh SP* (2017) Biotransformation of banana pseudo-stem extract into a functional juice containing value-added biomolecules of potential health benefits. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 55, 453-462. • Mantouvalou I, Lachmann T, Singh SP, Vogel-Mikus K, Kanngiesser B (2017) Advanced absorption correction for 3D elemental images applied to the analysis of pearl millet seeds obtained with a laboratory confocal micro X-ray fluorescence spectrometer. Analytical Chemistry 89(10), 5453-5460. • Narnoliya LK, Kaushal G, Singh SP*, Sangwan RS (2017) De novo transcriptome analysis of rose-scented geranium provides insights into the metabolic specificity of terpene and tartaric acid biosynthesis. BMC Genomics. 18(1):74. • Sharma M, Patel SN, Lata K, Singh U, Krishania M, Sangwan RS, Singh SP* (2016) A novel approach of integrated bioprocessing of cane molasses for production of prebiotic and functional bioproducts. Bioresource Technology 219, 311–318. • Pathak AK, Singh SP, Gupta Y, Gurjar AK, Mantri SS, Tuli R (2016) Transcriptional changes during ovule development in two genotypes of litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.) with contrast in seed size. Scientific Reports 8;6:36304. • Patel SN, Sharma M, Lata K, Singh U, Kumar V, Sangwan RS, Singh SP* (2016) Improved operational stability of D-psicose 3-epimerase by a novel protein engineering strategy, and D-psicose production from fruit and vegetable residues. Bioresource Technology 216, 121-127. • Singh SP, Singh SP, Pandey T, Singh RR, Sawant SV (2015) A novel male sterility-fertility restoration system in plants for hybrid seed production. Scientific Reports 5, 11274. • Gupta Y, Pathak AK, Singh K, Mantri SS, Singh SP*, Tuli R (2015) De novo assembly and characterization of transcriptomes of early-stage fruit from two genotypes of Annona squamosa L. with contrast in seed number. BMC Genomics 16, 86. • Kumari A, Kumar J, Kumar A, Chaudhari A, Singh SP* (2015) Grafting triggers differential responses between rootstock and scion. PLoS ONE 10(4):e0124438. • Kumar J, Gunapati S, Kumar J, Kumari A, Kumar A, Tuli R, Singh SP* (2014) Virus induced gene silencing using a modified betasatellite: a potential candidate for functional genomics of crops. Archives of Virology 159(8), 2109-13 • Pathak A, Singh SP*, Tuli R (2014) AFLP fingerprinting to identify genetic relatedness among lychee cultivars, and markers associated with small seeded cultivars. Journal of The American Society for Horticultural Science 139(6), 657–668. • Singh SP, Jeet R, Kumar J, Shukla V, Srivastava R, Mantri SS, Tuli R (2014) Comparative transcriptional profiling of two wheat genotypes, with contrasting levels of minerals in grains, shows expression differences during grain filling. PLoS ONE 9(11), e111718. • Singh SP, Vogel-Mikuš K, Vavpetič P, Jeromel L, Pelicon P, Kumar J, Tuli R (2014) Spatial X-Ray fluorescence micro-imaging of minerals in grain tissues of wheat and related genotypes. Planta 240(2), 277-289. • Singh SP, Vogel-Mikuš K, Arčon I, Vavpetič P, Jeromel L, Pelicon P, Kumar J, Tuli R (2013) Pattern of iron distribution in maternal and filial tissues in wheat grains with contrasting levels of iron. Journal of Experimental Botany 64, 3249-3260. • Singh SP, Pandey T, Srivastava R, Verma PC, Singh PK, Tuli R, Sawant SV (2010) BECLIN 1 from Arabidopsis thaliana, under the generic control of regulated expression systems, a strategy for developing male sterile plants. Plant Biotechnology Journal 8, 1467-7652.
Granted Patents :
1) A novel method for D-allulose production from D-fructose containing feedstock, and uses thereof. Indian Patent Appl. No. 201811023113. Patent Number: 353054. Inventors: Singh SP, Patel SN 2) A process for biotransformation of banana pseudostem extract into a functional juice enriched with prebiotic carbohydrate biomolecules. Indian Patent Appl. No. 201711009819; Patent No. IN 360411. Inventors: Singh SP, Sharma M, Patel SN, Sangwan RS 3) A process for the production of functional biomolecules from by-products of sugar and dairy industries. Indian Patent Appl. No. 201711006155; Patent number: 353513. Inventors: Singh SP, Lata K, Sharma M, Patel SN, Sangwan RS 4) A process for the production of nearly zero calorie sweet sugar from fruit or vegetable plants, plant parts and their extracts and residues, and uses of the same. Patent Appl. No. 201611003411. Patent ref. no. IN333203. Inventors: Singh SP, Sangwan RS, Patel SN, Sharma M, Singh U, Kumar V. 5) Method for producing male sterile plants using plant BECLIN1/ATG6 expression. India: IN2697DE2008; USA: US8710301B2; European Union: EP2350290B1; China: CN102257143B. Inventors: Sawant SV, Tuli R, Singh SP Extramural research projects as Principal Investigator : completed 04; ongoing 02
Current Research Mentees :
•Manisha Sharma (CSIR-SRF) •Girija Kaushal (DST Inspire Fellow) •Neera Agarwal (Project Associate) •Nitish Sharma (SRF, CIAB) •Monika (CSIR-JRF) •Ashutosh Singh (Project Associate)